Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Painting Never Dries

God, sometimes I miss the city like I miss the person I never was
Standing on the rocks watching the filth flow by on Kent Avenue
Underfoot the body that cried out in its silence
The empty vessel in the bottom down below
There was I, Drunk and lonely, only bottom feeders there
But I knew them well, I took them by the hand, they could see inside
They cut me and I cried out, but I know I’m hard as steel
I cannot die, I cannot die
I tried so hard and I know

Mercy is a phantom that I never got to know
An apparition, a warm body, a fleeting image, open shutter
For a moment I thought I had it in my hand
But like the dust it blew away
On the wind that burns so bitter and the faces I don’t know
The train doors do not open but it passes by so slow
I try to lift my hand and wave
At the passersby
But they never see me, never once, an atom speck so small

The buildings tall, the sun so bright, wood chips crack so hot and light
My lungs filled with an air, So black and clean, a phrase I never mean
So cruel and cold to the touch, I feel you and I shiver
It’s myself I cannot fathom sinking in the murky depths
Eight million leagues, just can’t believe
It’s still here to this day
The lie, the lie, the shimmering lie
Ripples on the river, a stray cats fighting cry
It’s warmer there so just stay put
And watch it all go by

No comments:

Post a Comment